Monday, April 7, 2014

Too Busy to Listen to the Still Small Voice

1 Kings 19:11-13 (NLT) “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

Have you ever felt so caught up in the busyness of life that you forget to make time to hear the gentle whispers of God's voice speaking to you? I know I have felt that way many times before, and if you have too you are not alone. The prophet Elijah after having soundly defeated all of the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel ran away in fear and hid in a cave. God sent a mighty windstorm, earthquake, and a blazing fire to get Elijah's attention, but he was not in any of these great displays of power. He instead chose to speak to Elijah in the still small quiet voice of a whisper. Psalm 67:10a (NLT) says, "Be still and know that I am God."

Jesus provides us with one way to hear the still small voice of God, and I will provide you with another way I have learned through the course of my life. Scripture repeatedly tells us of Jesus breaking away from those around him both morning and evening to spend time alone in prayer and meditation with God. I firmly believe in the chaos of our daily lives it is vital to make time for reading scripture and engaging God in prayer. In my life, I have best heard the still small voice of God when I was committed to daily reading of His word and journaling the small messages he provided me. It is in the multiplication of those small messages where His truth in my life has been revealed. I know if you devote yourself to studying the word of God everyday for thirty days He will let you hear His still small voice. Are you ready to take the challenge?

Your brother in Christ,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment