Friday, June 26, 2009

John the Baptist's Challenge for Believers

Fellow Believers,

I was reading through John 3 today when I came across the following verse that really had an impact on me.

John 3:30 (New International Reader's Version)
30 He must become more important. I must become less important.


We live in a society today that places a tremendous amount of value on our personal importance. According to Webster's Dictionary importance is marked by or indicative of significant worth or consequence : valuable in content or relationship. How often do we devalue the worth of our relationship with Jesus Christ and place other things in our lives before our relationship with our Savior? We are all guilty of not placing Jesus in a position of importance from time to time.

My daughter is two years old and learning to do things on her own, and when I offer to give her assistance when she is struggling she gets loud and says, "I can do it". I thought today how often do I tell God "I can do it" and then rely only on myself to get the task accomplished. God wants us to lift him up and offer everything over to him.

I will leave you with this thought. Doing things our way is just a recipe for disaster and if we want to succeed we need to do them God's way. It is not easy to be humble and admit that we need help, but God already knows our heart and our plans.

Today, are we going to continue to put our self first or is it time to allow God to direct our paths?

Your brother in Christ,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment